Thursday, November 06, 2008

Nervewracking

There are approximately 40 people who work in this building.

About 25 were called by the CEO into a conference room this morning and laid off.

I was one of them.

I asked if I had to listen to the spiel about COBRA, etc. since I'm a temp. They said no, so I left the room, went to my desk, and packed my box.

As I was getting ready to leave, I headed into the office of my (former) boss to tell her my passwords and my status with various agreements. There was a very tall good-looking man in there--he said, "Are you Aimee?"

When I nodded, he motioned me in, offered me a chair, closed the door and said, "You were not supposed to be in that room. You hit the ground running and we need you.
The Engineering teams were affected today, Sales was reorganized last month, and our group was reorganized a couple months ago--bringing you in was a product of that re-org, so please accept my apologies. You should not have been in that room."

Oh.My.Fucking.God. This day... it's only 10:00 and it has already been nerve-wracking to the nth degree. I think I want to barf.

But I'm still employed. :)

And tomorrow, I'm going to California.

And BARACK OBAMA is gonna be our PRESIDENT!!!